Too Glam to Give a Clam – A Monochromatic Mermaid Card

Today I’m sharing the card I created for my StampNation PenPal for August. This month’s challenge was all about GREEN, and I decided it was the perfect excuse to dive under the sea and play with an entire palette of gorgeous aqua and green tones!

For my focal image, I chose this beautiful mermaid from the Sweet November Stamps “Mermees So Emotional” stamp set. I had so much fun coloring her in soft minty greens and aquas, keeping everything very monochromatic while still adding lots of depth and detail.


To create her underwater home, I tucked her into a pretty ticket-edged frame die from Whimsy Stamps. Behind her, I added lots of flowing underwater foliage using Catherine Pooler DesignsUnder the Sea Cover Plate Die. I kept all of those elements within the same aqua-green color family so the mermaid would remain the star of the scene. I also added some wavy kelp using the Catherine Pooler "Jellyfish Layered Stencil" and Minted ink.

Of course, I couldn’t resist adding some splatters throughout the background for a little extra bubbly texture and movement. The finished scene feels soft, cool and dreamy—just like being beneath the surface of the ocean!


This card also happened to work perfectly for a recent episode of Craft Roulette. Here’s how I incorporated all four parameters:

  • Project: 4x8 Card
  • Colors – Excited: Green represents life, growth and energy
  • Element – Cold or Chilly: The cool ocean/sea water
  • Random – Stitches: The stitched detailing around the ticket-style frame

I finished the card with the fun sentiment, “Too glam to give a clam.” It was just too perfect for this gorgeous mermaid!

I absolutely love how this monochromatic card came together. Playing with different shades of green and aqua was such a fun challenge, and I love how all of the layered underwater details still allow that fabulous mermaid to shine.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope this inspires you to choose one color family and see just how much depth and interest you can create with it. Happy crafting!

~ Ally ~ 

No comments:

 
09 10